Friday, August 8, 2014

Landon Donovan Is Retiring…Anyone Care?

Landon Donovan Is Retiring…Anyone Care?

"Do you hear that? It's the winds of change" - Randall from Monsters Inc. (yes, I just did that…I don't care how lame it is, when you've watched the movie eleventy billion times it's forced into your molecules.)  Those winds you are hearing will quite possibly change the face and direction of the USMNT (US Mens National Team) and the MLS for the better if not best, when Donovan retires at season's end.  Look, I am not saying that Landon Donovan is not/was not a very good player and a fantastic spokesperson for the National Team, MLS and soccer in the US in general, BUT my issue with him is that he could never get either of those 3 to where it needed to be.  I know I am being crabby (come on dude, it's Friday…give it a rest) and I know that he is the all-time leader in MLS and USMNT goals scored…but honestly and I mean this with the utmost respect for all parties involved…being the coolest kid at chess camp isn't really much to hang your hat on.



I am just a little salty over this whole thing because he is "moving on to the next chapter" passing on playing in the nation's highest league at 32.  I must have forgotten that he was so awesome that he could just walk away and make a big deal about it…oh wait he already did when he went on hiatus after stating that he was burnt out mentally.  I just wonder, if I was 32 (which I am) and I was playing soccer for a living instead of tech support at a large bank (which I happen to enjoy, but playing soccer sounds much nicer) would I walk away right now or enbrace the level of skill and effort I have put into things and ride it out for a few more years… Is this about the USMNT snub?  Does LD feel like an outsider?  Should he care?  Apples and Oranges but LA pays and wins, USA doesn't and doesn't (well at least not enough).



Will you miss Landon Donovan?

Happy Watching!!


No comments:

Post a Comment