Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Excuse Me Sir, You're Standing On My Throat

How The Sports World Is Beating Me Down Lately



It's been a while since my last post and I know you're probably thinking that I am a lazy bag.  That I don't care to stick to this nice little side project I have kicked off on the tail end of this past summer's scintillating World Cup...you'd probably be right in most cases (I am pretty lazy), but not here.  The truth is that I am burnt out with the sports world right now.  

My teams have been miserable in 2014.  The Mets actually did the best they could but still ended up below .500 in the win column and really showed zero life at the plate.  The bright side is ace pitcher Matt Harvey returns to the rotation next season and that is a very bright side indeed, but it's not enough to get excited about just yet.  

Manchester United (my favorite soccer team) has been so far below average this season that they just keep making transactions, roster shake ups and increasingly annoying predictions from their front office.  Brand new head coach Louis Van Gaal has been flapping his gums since the summer as to how he was going to shake things up at Old Trafford and revitalize the club who has struggled mightily since the departure (retired) of United demi-god Sir Alex Ferguson.  The team lacks identity as all of their players of yester-year are now gone…Ryan Giggs is on the coaching staff but that doesn't seem to be helping…at all.



The Jets make me just sad.  There is very little upside this season other than at least we now know that Geno Smith is not the QB of the future.  Rex Ryan has benched him a few times already during games and has now decided to flat out start Michael Vick this week.  Geno completed more passes to players on the other team (3) than his own (2) before getting the hook.  It's sad, I have removed emotions from the mess and am looking forward to the playoffs.

Moving right along on the Melancholy March, things haven't improved around the NFL with regards to the domestic and substance abuse policies.  Since the start of the season, players have been arrested, arraigned, sentence and so on…it's pretty depressing when you think about getting excited about an organization that allows this type of thing to go on while raking in the dough and not giving back enough to the fans.  

But you know what?  It's our own fault.  Heck, a report came yesterday that at the miserable Jets-Bills game a few fans got into scuffles in the stands with one of them getting knocked out cold.  Is this what we really want to do with our Sundays?  And it's both sides.  The report quotes a high level of intoxication, Buffalo fans being obnoxious and a Jets fan punching his face off.  That's too stressful for my tastes on Sundays.  I have chosen a different path with sports lately, it's one of indifference most the most part.  I enjoy watching small doses and find some stories utterly fascinating like the Royals playoff run (not going well lately) and the lead up to the insanity that will surely come about when the college football mafia begins to determine which teams will be competing in their brandy new COLLEGE FOOTBALL SUPER PLAYOFF EXTRAVAGANZA!!!  Slow golf clap….

Maybe I am just being a crotchety old man who is having a tough time dealing with a recent rough patch with his favorite teams, but the other day while I was working through my drawers of clothing, rotating my warmer weather clothes into the bins for storage and colder weather gear into the drawers I can across a few items of clothing - 

1.  Marc Sanchez jersey (not sure why this wasn't burned)




2.  Jose Reyes jersey (see comment above)



3.  Carlos Beltran & K-Rod t-shirt jerseys smashed into the back of one drawer (you can tell I have been lazy in rotating some years)




4.  And worst of all - Darrelle Revis jersey (a really nice one that was a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law, incredibly thoughtful!)  The saddest thing about the Revis scenario is now he plays for the Patriots…



Honestly, I have no answers…



Hope this brightened your day by comparison!

HAPPY WATCHING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment