Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Is It Cool To Lose On Purpose?



Happy Tuesday everyone!  I think everyone out there is pretty familiar with the fan orchestrated campaign a few years back in Indianapolis when they were terrible.  The fans basically decided that the team's season would be more useful to the franchise if they continued to lose and obtain the highest draft pick they could for the 2012 draft and grab superstar college quarterback Andrew Luck.  They ended that season 2-14, got the first pick and drafted Luck.  They have since been 11-5, 11-5 and are 6-3 this season and in first place.  Andrew Luck has been elected to the NFL Pro Bowl in both 2012 and 2013.  He still has a long way to go before he is labeled a very,  very good draft pick but you know what?  I have to say that so far things are turning out pretty well for him, the fans and the Indianapolis Colts franchise.  


Now this does work out for every franchise, as is clearly exhibited by the Jacksonville Jaguars.  They seemingly lose by nature and end up with a pretty high draft pick every year.  They have had the 3rd, 2nd, 5th, 10th, 10th, 8th and 8th overall draft picks going back to the 2008 draft.  Going back to 2008 they have not had more than 8 wins in a season and this year are a sexy 1-9...clearly they need to either suck more or find a new General Manager.  My point is that being miserable is not a guarantee to future success, but Luck is certainly not the only player to turn around a miserable franchise with a top draft pick. 


As a fan of the hapless 2-8 (nice win on Sunday, morons), I constantly battle whether or not I prefer to see them lose so that they might be able to secure that coveted high draft pick in next spring's NFL Draft.  What good does it do them to finish the year with 4 or 5 wins (wishful thinking at best), miss the playoffs and ultimately end up with a draft pick in the low to mid teens.  The sick thing about the Jets getting a good draft pick is that I don't feel all that great about them finding the right talent they need to actually improve the team.  


Let's run through this for a moment - 
1st Rounders in Order - 18th Calvin Pryor, 9th Dee Milliner, 16th Quinten Coples, 30th Mohammed Wilkerson, 29th Kyle Wilson and 5th the infamous (and now resurrected) Mark Sanchez.  This takes us back to 2009's draft and in my opinion the only one here that actually belongs in the first team is Mohammed Wilkerson.  Pryor has potentially but recent reports of him being late for meetings and a subsequent benching leads me to believe that his brain is not into things at the level they need to be.  But maybe that's just me.


For those who don't know, the photos above in order are Sexy Rexy flaunting his tattoo of his wife wearing a Sanchez jersey, Sanchez's brilliant butt fumble and oft injured Dee Milliner doing his best hurt face...he is always hurt.  

Where is this all going?  The answer is, I just don't know.  Is it better to lose semi on purpose for a chance at a good draft pick if you don't know what to do with it?  That actually reminds me of a line from Glengarry Glen Ross (Alec Baldwin) which if you don't know is a movie about the inner-workings of a real estate sales office...tell me I'm wrong but how applicable is this to the New York Jets franchise - 

"These are the new leads (for the salesmen to use). These are the Glengarry leads. And to you they're gold, and you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you is just throwing them away. They're for closers. I'd wish you good luck but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. And to answer your question, pal, why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to. They asked me for a favor. I said the real favor, follow my advice and fire your *expletive* ass because a loser is a loser."


You tell me that doesn't fit the Jets and I'd say you're crazy.  Lose or win for the rest of the season, seems like it won't matter.  

HAPPY WATCHING!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment