Sunday, July 27, 2014

I Don't Like The Redskins, Maybe This Guy Likes Them Too Much...

For the record, I am sure that Charlie White (Washington Redskins fan) is a very nice man (I of course do not know this to be certain), but in my little world he is probably just an obsessive fan looking to connect with his favorite team.  But does tattooing the names of 22 other dudes on your arm(s) really make you a better fan?  Do you really feel more connected to them because they signed your flesh and now Snake or Jesse or Larry at the corner tattoo parlor has inked them into permanency on your body?  Does any of this sound like a god idea?  No, no it doesn't...and here's why - 

If you take any Super Bowl winning team over the last few years (and there have been some great ones) do you really want the 19th best player or 21st best player on the (starting squad in July) tattooed on your body?  Let's cut to the scene at work, bar, family picnic or local convenience store...dialog ensues - 

Charlie White (CW) - Hey man, you see that sick end to the 'Skins game last night?
Anyone on Earth (AOE) - Yeah that was pretty nice how RG III tossed found DeSean in the corner of the endzone on that fade route.
CW - Yeah, well you didn't see it as well as I did because I got DJ and RG III's names tattooed on my arm!! What, what!!!
AOE - No I am pretty sure my television set was showing the game as clearly as your's was.  In fact do you have HD or are rocking the tube TV?
CW - Whoa, slow down my friend.  I got HD, you don't even know about!  Jackson and RG III for life son!  You don't even know!!
AOE - Nope, I do know.  Congrats on the HD TV and wait who else is tattooed on your arms?  What the heck is that scramble on your upper arm?  Kory who?
CW - That's Kory Lichtensteiger.  If you can't keep it real, then you can't wear that burgundy uni!
AOE - I don't think it's a uniform if it's not worn by a player...I think at that point it's just a shirt.
CW - Whatever dude, that just how I roll.  It's all or nothing!  I don't care, I just gotta do me.
AOE - But it's only July.  What if PLAYER XYZ (won't name any players for fear of giving anyone bad juju) gets hurt and he never plays for the Redskins this season?
CW - This conversation is over.  I'm done man.  

It's funny because I think most of us (myself way, way included) get kind of caught up in this fandom with jerseys, soaring ticket prices, who we root for and for some people it's almost as important to determine who we hate and root against at all costs.  You hear it all the time with people fighting in the stands and parking lots and essentially driving people away from the games in general.  Honestly, what's worth more to you?  Go to the game, listen to the drunk fan behind you for 3 hours or watch it on the couch and have a full fridge of beer and snacks and a clean working toilet within 30 feet?  I am not advocating for people not going to games, because seeing games in the stadium live is magical, it really is.  All I am saying is that maybe, just maybe (thanks Louis C.K.) we take it one to maybe two notches down on the craziness scale when we watch sports.  Just enjoy yourself....and don't tattoo random dudes names on your arm.  Buy a t-shirt, drink a beer, eat a hot dog and have a good time.  

For further reading - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11272853/washington-redskins-fan-wants-tattoos-all-22-starters-signatures (Thanks ESPN.com)

Let's end this weekend like we started it.  Like a bunch of bosses just running out the clock in the 4th quarter up 15 points....waiting to claim our prize.  Monday awaits.

ALSO!!! - We are heading into the fantasy sports sweet spot.  Fantasy Baseball playoffs and Fantasy Football drafts.  If anyone out there has something to throw out for tips, trade offers, questions or just a funny story about playing fantasy sports, I would love to hear it.  Let's see what you have to offer!

Happy watching!
-Shaun







2 comments:

  1. Heisenbergs back in action this year...and I actually plan to pay one iota (minimum) to my team this season, so look out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch out for Pollos Hermanos! I hear they are opening a new spot in Short Hills Mall. You gotta wash that cash somewhere, right?

    ReplyDelete