Thursday, July 17, 2014

Most Boring Day in Sports (at night)..in a while

Good evening/morning - depending on when you are reading this!  

I hope all of you are having a great week so far and that you are coping with WC withdrawal better than I am, which I am sure that you all are.  At this point, the only thing that I hated about the WC was that Suarez did not get a stiffer penalty for his third (third!!!) biting incident and now will be making more money than probably this audience combined over the next 6-9 months.  Justice?  Bleh, there is no justice in this world!

That being said, let's roll into Friday on a high note.  And by a high note, I mean that it couldn't get any lower tonight as far as the sports world goes.  Rachel and I were out for dinner with Scott, Jess, Kristin and that Ryan character who ended up walking away tonight with the winnings from the WC pool.  Which by the way, if you haven't paid me yet...please do so.  It gets itchy paying someone out when I am short someone's entry fee.  Not hating, just hasty.  All good.

Ok, getting back to the lowness of tonight's sports offering.  
1.  Baseball - All Star break...still (they come back tomorrow)
2.  ESPYs I think that was yesterday or Tuesday or Monday...don't care and don't want to care LBJ and Tony Hawk are probably still winning awards, makes no sense.  I am sure Samuel L. Jackson loves that piece because they bring him out every year to announce some award.  (Good for him, bad/indifferent for me).
3.  LBJ, 'Melo and the rest of the gang of NBA FAs have pretty much saddled up with their new overlords so there really isn't much going on from that front.
4.  The British Open, which I love (super challenging golf course that makes the best of pros seem semi-vulnerable) was played way earlier in the day....  Tigre looks good with an opening round 69 and McIlroy (yes ladies the guy who broke off his engagement after...AFTER they sent out the wedding invites) is leading with a 66.  It's fine, move on he won't be there at the end - in my opinion.  

So, you're like OK cool great bullet points jerk, so what?  I will tell you what.  The sports night was so slow that when out at dinner the tvs by the bar were playing a CFL game.  For those of you not hip to the game north of the border, the CFL stands for Canadian Football League.  The field is measured in meters as opposed to yards, the referees wear plaid jerseys and the mounted police patrol the stands handing out candy to good fans. I mean come on!  The CFL on ESPN!!! Where are we? Canada?  Bleh, this was a tough one to watch.  If I were entertaining a guest from out of town and the best we had to show on ESPN was the CFL, I think I would have just gone home and had Doug Flutie show my distant cousin around town.  

I know, it happens...we all slip from time to time, but did it really get that bad?  Bring back baseball, heck I will watch darts or bowling on TV - I've done it before and I'll do it again.

OK, enjoy your Thursday night and your Friday.  Baseball is back and it's glorious.  It's no WC but comparing everything to the WC is like comparing every other sandwich to the best grilled cheese sandwich you've ever had.  You're not going out there and saying that the grilled cheese sandwich is the best sandwich you've ever had but when you compare it to the rest of the sandwiches you've have in the past you can't say that it's not one of the best sandwiches you've eaten.

Welcome to Grilled Cheese Sports!

Happy Watching my friends,
Shaun

http://grilledcheesesports.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment